Monday, January 3, 2011

New year, New blog - No idea what I am doing

I don't twitter.  I have a facebook, but I rarely check it.  I also have a flickr account that I am not sure how to access.  I am so technologically unsavvy, I don't even know the word for it.  This is my attempt to figure about how to blog.  So far, so good.  I do feel slightly ridiculous writing to no one, but this will be my online journal about my beading hobby (habit, addiction, etc). 

I started beading about 5 years ago.  It was right after I got married and a girlfriend had given me a wedding scrapbook.  I had never scrapbooked, but I thought why not?  I hopped in my Neon and drove to the craft store to buy supplies to make my scrapbook.  Passing the scrapbooking aisle, I saw beads and was intrigued.  But I bought my supplies and went home.  Fast forward 4-10 trips to the craft store, and I was still stopping in the bead aisle.  One day I went in and just decided to buy.  I remember my purchases - a bag of mixed wood beads, a bag of mixed blue plastic beads, a beading board, and some beading elastic.  The cashier said to me as I checked out, "someone looks like they are going to have fun."  She had no idea.

I went home and searched online, I found out how to make an earring with a headpin, string a crimp bead on beading wire, and made about 15 bracelets.  I was hooked.  I kept going back to the craft store and bought more and more beads.  Soon I had a plastic shoebox container purchased at the dollar store that was filled with little containers of beads.  I sat on my couch and made bracelets with my little container.

Five years later, I am still beading.  I love making jewelry, I love buying beads.  I would rather buy beads than shoes.  I would rather buy beads then clothes.  I have a whole room that is filled with boxes of beads and books (but that is another obsession for another time).  I sit in bed at night and read beading magazines.  There is a moment of excitement that I get after I make something really great that I have never felt anywhere else.  If you get that feeling you know what I mean.  I have never been an artist, my drawing abilities stopped somewhere around the age of six.  I never thought I would do something creative, but this gives me a huge sense of fulfillment. 

This blog will document my trial and error of jewelry design, I hope you like it and you will stay awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment